A cough may keep you awake all night, and interfere with your daily functioning. Most of the over-the-counter medications and cough suppressants are not quite effective in relieving the symptoms and can cause side effects.
If you want to deal with your constant coughing without experiencing any side effects, then give natural cough suppressants a try. To make these cough suppressants, you will need to
This cough miracle cure helps in treating a persistent cough much better than any of the over-the-counter medications.
- Mix honey with some warm water or put in some non-caffeinated herbal tea. You can also add some juice of ginger, along with a pinch of black pepper powder to it.
- Take this 2-3 times in a day, to relieve yourself of the problem.
- A tablespoon of honey mixed with lemon juice or a teaspoonful of raw onion juice mixed with a teaspoon of honey also can help suppress the cough.
- Using gargle to cure cough is another method and to do this, you will mix gargle with hot salt water to cleanse your throat and clean the mucus.
- Some other effective gargling solutions include lemon juice with warm water and a tablespoon of salt and vinegar.
- Lukewarm water mixed with salt and turmeric powder serves as an antiseptic for the throat and relieves the symptoms.
- Though, grated ginger juice or holy basil boiled in hot water can be effective cough suppressants. Swishing with spinach juice has also been known to help relieve the symptoms of cough as well.
Another way to make it is to
- Soak almonds in water overnight.
- Remove the almond skin and grind it into a fine paste.
- Mix this with sugar and butter.
- This should be taken twice a day.
You can also mix herbs like mint leaves and eucalyptus leaves in hot water and bring it to a boil. Inhale the mixture this herbal Vapore, to cure the cough.
The use of holy basil leaves mixed with honey can also help in soothing sore throat and relieving the cough.
Along with this, aloe Vera juice mixed with honey can be taken twice a day to cure the sore throat and relieve chest congestion. One of the best herbal remedies for cough and sore throat is a mix of lemongrass, basil, grated ginger, and lemon juice.
Another type of old fashion cough remedies is the use of ginger tea. For a cup of ginger tea, mix a teaspoon of grated ginger root in water and add two cloves of garlic and lemon.
- Boil the water and reduce the heat. Leave it to simmer for 15 minutes before you take it off heat.
- Drinking the hot ginger tea, Does not only helps in healing the symptoms but also helps in opening up the nasal passages.
- You can also add aniseed tea to reduce the mucus.
Staying hydrated is the most important way for those with a cough or cold. ResearchTrusted Source indicates that drinking liquids at room temperature can relieve a cough, runny nose, and sneezing.
Nevertheless, those with supplementary symptoms of a cold or flu may benefit from warming up their beverages.
Examples of those hot beverages are things like:
- clear broths
- cool or warm fruit juices
- herbal teas
- decaffeinated black tea
- cool or warm water
Bromelain is an enzyme that comes from pineapples. It is most plentiful in the core of the fruit.
Bromelain has anti-inflammatory properties and may also have mucolytic properties, which means that it can break down mucus and remove it from the body.
Other people consume pineapple juice daily to minimise mucus in the throat and suppress coughing. Though, there may not be enough bromelain in the juice to relieve symptoms.
Bromelain supplements are available and may be more effective at relieving a cough. But, it is better to speak with a doctor about it before giving any new supplements a try.
These herb may also cause side effects and interact with medications. Anybody who take blood thinners or specific antibiotics should not take bromelain.
Peppermint is sometime used as a flavoring for toothpaste, tea and Gum, although it also could be just what you’ve been looking for to treat your cough. Peppermint contains a compound known as menthol. Menthol may help thin mucus and loosen phlegm.
Peppermint tea is widely available in stores or online and is considered safe. You can also simply add a few fresh peppermint leaves to hot water to make your own tea. It has no side effects and poses no danger unless you’re allergic.
Pure menthol is considered poisonous and should never be ingested. If you want to apply a diluted oil to your skin, test a small area first and wait 24 to 48 hours to see if there’s a reaction.
The Bottom Line
Note that all these remedies, can be used as alternative natural cough suppressant for children, like feeding the child chicken soup. another way is by placing a humidifier in his/her room will help to clear the blocked nasal passages and provide relief from the coughing. With these natural remedies and a lot more of rest, you will soon say goodbye to cough.
Some natural remedies may help to relieve a cough. Although, it is important to remember that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) do not monitor herbs and supplements, so people who use them may be at risk of using low-quality products and impurities.
People who want to use natural remedies to treat their cough should research sources and brands. They should also be aware that some herbs and supplements can interfere with medications, which may result in unwanted side effects.
If a cough is severe or persists for more than a few weeks, it is important to seek medical advice.