This fast and simple Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup, as we all know it to be, is creamy comfort food which is made in a pressure cooker. It’s a healthy meal, ketogenic, and low carb.
The instant broccoli cheese soup is packed with veggies and the ingredient for these recipes can easily be found around the shops. Its a makes great midweek bowl of comfort.
Since I started keto diet, I prefer to just make my own homemade version of Panera’s soup from scratch. When making this soup, I don’t like using chicken broth or stock because they sometimes contain fillers and additives that I don’t really think are necessary. I make up for all of this by adding in extra cheese and broccoli, and the end result of this soup is super thick and heartier.
The using of the pressure cooker, even makes the cooking faster. only 15 minutes of prepping and 15 minutes of cooking.
The Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup Ingredients.
- 3 tbsp salted butter
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 cups of diced carrots
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- 1 tsp paprika. (Optional)
- shredded cheddar cheese. (Optional)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 1/2 cups Monterey jack cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic minced
Step 1: Select and press the Sauté button on the pressure cooker and add the butter. Stir it until it has melted. when the butter has finished melting, then add the onion, celery, and carrots and cook it for about 3 to 5 minutes. Make sure that you stir it frequently to prevent it from burning.
Step 2: Add the garlic and flour and then stir it. Leave it to cook for 1 to 2 minutes and then pour the broth. Turn it continually to avoid lumps.
Step3: Add the chopped broccoli, and stir it. Secure the lid and set the Instant Pot to cook at High Pressure for 5 minutes.
Step 4: After it has cooked for 5 minutes, Uncover and select the saute mode, open the lid and turn the pot off. Add in the paprika, and shredded cheddar and stir until it becomes incorporated.
Step 5: Gradually add and stir in the cheese, stir it very well until it’s melted. When it has finished melted, then add in the milk and cream, salt and pepper to taste.
Tips On Making Successful Broccoli Cheese Soup In The Instant Pot:
- If you have decided to make this soup, make sure you buy a bag of pre-chopped broccoli florets and a 15 oz container of mirepoix at the grocery store to make things easier for you.Mirepoix is packaged and pre-diced carrots, onions, and celery, typically used as a flavor base for soups and stews.
- Use digital food scale to Measure out the broccoli and cheddar cheese.
- Measure out the broccoli and cheddar cheese by weight. Here’s a great digital food scale.
- You can use a pressure cooker which is made by Instant Pot and it has a 6-quart capacity. Between the 6 or 8 quarts will work perfectly for this recipe, but whichever one you decided, is fine but don’t go for the smaller sizes.
Because of how fast this soup is, it’s ideal you prepare it ahead of time and freezes/reheats well.
if the pressure cooker you are using, is large enough, you can double the ingredients (but keep the pressure cooking time the same) and make 10 servings.
You can store the remaining of the soup in the refrigerator and reheat it by using the microwave.
Note: If you want the soup to be thicker, then take half the soup and blend until smooth and creamy and then add it back to the pot. Leave it for some time and then serve it and enjoy.
To reduce the number of carbs intake, just use half as many onions and carrots. It’ will be thinner and not thick but will still taste good.
Alternatively, In case you want to make this soup on the stove instead of the pressure cooker, then follow the first two steps in a saucepan and cook it until the broccoli is very soft. When you noticed that is soft enough, remove the pot from the heat and put in the herbs, cheese, spices, cream and milk to serve. This method can only take 30minutes to cook.
If you enjoyed this post on Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup or have any questions, please leave a comment below and don’t forget to like and share.